Chemo Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
Like Steve, who has bitcoin, but he can't remember where his keys are, I set up SQRL using the android app when I was recovering from chemo, and, unfortunately, chemobrain is one of the side effects so I can't remember where I stored my keys and recovery strings and QR codes... believe me, I've looked without success. (I'm sure I will stumble across them in time)

I know that without those keys, there are NO recovery options and I'm OK with that.

So, my question is, what is the best way to start over?

Is there any way to wipe the SQRL registration so I can use the same ID?

I'd really prefer to be able to use the same user ID. (I didn't ever set up any SQRL logins)

Fortunately, I still had the SQRL app installed on an old android phone, so I was able to confirm my SQRL id.

Thanks in advance for any directions.

Beverly Howard

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
@bevhoward sorry that you've had to suffer chemobrain, but you're unfortunately "off the map." You can start over, and create a new account, but there is literally nothing useful you can do [on your own] with the old one without the items you've misplaced.

What could potentially be done is to ask an admin (aka @Steve) to assist... but if your SQRL identity had been used on many sites you'd end up asking many admin's to trust your need for their involvement.

One of the consequences of the design of SQRL was that all of the life cycle management was pushed onto the user.

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks... again, I never set up any logins other than the basic SQRL setup. Just wondering, since there are no logins if my SQRL account could be wiped, so I could start over.

For now, I'll assume no.

Posted to @Steve
Beverly Howard

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Which client, the GRC Windows client? Your identity is stored under "My Documents"/SQRL Just go move it out of there (back it up if you expect to find your lost data and want to reclaim it then.) With no identity found in the client, it will take you through the full setup again. There is a means in the client to just create a new identity, but you don't need the old one hanging around getting in your way, so what I just proposed is your best option.

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks... will do.

The client that I set up is android... It's on an old phone, so, since I am not using that, all I have to do is to have the old phone accessible.

Beverly

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
You guys are the first to know.

I was cleaning up unrelated image albums and saw a thumbnail that I didn't recognize.

Have not done anything yet, but it appears that I have the original "Show Identity" and "RC" screenshots.

They were well hidden! (...now, where's the combination to the safe? ;-)

I hope that I can either recover or reset the user password with this info because I have not found that yet.

Tip... if you need to use large fonts as I do, reset the font to default size before taking screenshots.

Thanks for the responses and info. I've got a lot to learn about SQRL and how it works, so after this, I'm proceeding very slowly.

Beverly Howard

ahauser

Feb 22, 2019
I hope that I can either recover or reset the user password with this info because I have not found that yet.
Hey @bevhoward, you can indeed reset your password using the newly found rescue code. In the Android client, just go to:

Main menu (three dots) -> Identity Settings -> Gear Icon -> Password Options -> Reset Password

Hope this helps!

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
A primary motivation for accepting the invitation to join these forums was to learn to use SQRL as I currently access no other sites that use it.

Since I had "lost" my SQRL identity, I joined the old fashion way ...user id and password.

How would I now switch and start using SQRL on this forum to begin learning it?

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard

bevhoward

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks... done...

I had been there before, but the gotcha that got me was the fact that the client was asking for my SQRL pw and I assumed (since it was site related) that it was asking for the site pw.

Thanks again,
Beverly Howard

Starting a new thread for new user dumb questions and discoveries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave
Status
Not open for further replies.