Cannot Connect accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikesTooLz

Nov 8, 2018
If I already have an account username/password for the forums and then go to connect my SQRL ID to it, every time I scan the QR code with the IOS app it asks if I would like to setup a new account. If I click yes it takes me through the new account process, If I click no nothing happens and the account does not get connected to the SQRL ID.

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Mike: When you say "and then go to connect my SQRL ID to it" what actions are you taking? While logged in, are you going into the "Connected Accounts" item in the pop-up menu under your logged-on name?

MikesTooLz

Nov 8, 2018
Yes, I go to connected accounts.
The first item is to connect to SQRL so I scan the qr code and the iOS app then asks if I want to create a new account on the site. If I choose yes the forums take me to a page to setup a new forum account. If I choose no, nothing happens.

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
Yes, I go to connected accounts.
The first item is to connect to SQRL so I scan the qr code and the iOS app then asks if I want to create a new account on the site. If I choose yes the forums take me to a page to setup a new forum account. If I choose no, nothing happens.
My App displays the “Do you want to create a new account” message when it gets a server response that shows there is no existing sqrl aasisciation. It has no idea how to create a website account in any way. If you answer with a “yes” it just proceeds to send the info required to set up a new SQRL relationship. What the server does next is up to the server.

I don’t think anything is wrong here. Or am I missing something?

MikesTooLz

Nov 8, 2018
wow, it worked now.

Must have been on the older version I had before. When I clicked on YES, the forum page would take me to a page as if I was setting up a new account. I just tried it again with the latest beta and it worked like it should.

Maybe change the wording, since existing users are not wanting to create new accounts. Something more generic that would work both ways like "Would you like to associate your SQRL ID with DOMAIN.COM?"
It did throw me off for a minute when I first read it, but then since No wasn't doing anything I then tried Yes 3 or 4 times before posting on here.

Last edited:
G

Gristle

I think the language should cover both cases: you could have an existing account, at say amazon, and you simply want to use SQRL to login and associate. For this case, the wording "create new account" doesn't make sense. But for the case where it is a site you've never used before and you DO want to create an accuont, it does. Unfortunately, correct me if I'm wrong, but the SQRL client will have no knowledge of whether you actually are in the former condition or the latter, so the language must make sense for both cases. Just my two cents.

Jeffa

May 20, 2018
I think the language should cover both cases: you could have an existing account, at say amazon, and you simply want to use SQRL to login and associate. For this case, the wording "create new account" doesn't make sense. But for the case where it is a site you've never used before and you DO want to create an accuont, it does. Unfortunately, correct me if I'm wrong, but the SQRL client will have no knowledge of whether you actually are in the former condition or the latter, so the language must make sense for both cases. Just my two cents.
What about:

“Would you like to start using SQRL at example.com?”

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.