Autorun bug and feature request "print to PDF file"

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bastardo

Feb 16, 2020
Hey hey,

I am experimenting with the Windows client at the moment and found two things I want to ask about:

After installing the client under Windows 10 and deselecting "Automatically start SQRL", a registry key under "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" was written anyway, ignoring my choice.

Going into settings and ticking and unticking the checkbox for autostart (saving in between) does nothing. In the end I manually deleted the registry key.

Is this a bug?

Bonus question: Why was the entry generated under "WOW6432" since the SQRL client is a 32 bit application? OK my Windows is 64 bit though.

I first created my identity via the Google Chrome plugin and imported my identity into the Windows client at home. Now I want to print out the codes but... I can't because I don't have a printer at home and I don'T have a Windows machine at work (where a printer is).
Why can't I "print to PDF file"?

This is my "workflow" for the past years with basically every other program. Generate a PDF and print it at work.

Besides those things I am so on board with SQRL and "just wait" like everybody else for a hopeful adoption.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Is this a bug?
I wouldn't call it a bug, but it is a design decision I am not a fan of. (I tried bringing it up before, but it was too late in the cycle and @Steve wasn't in a position to do anything about it.)

That is a good question, why can't you?? Just select the proper printer... there should be one that writes to PDF files. I have done this myself. If your question is rather "Why isn't PDF generation an option built into the program?" that would be because that would bring a lot overhead along with a very small program that appears unnecessary when the OS can provide this solution for you.

SQRLProducePDF.png

Sithmagic

Oct 12, 2019
I may seem like a lot, but you can just write the text down - the most basic printing facility. From SQRL_Explained.pdf :
This textual representation uses a custom alphabet to reduce character ambiguity with incremental per-line hashing to catch any previous manual entry errors before the next line is started.

El Bastardo

Feb 16, 2020
Regarding the autorun "option": If the checkbox exists but does not change anything on activation, that is a bug by (my) definition and not a design choice.

Regarding printing:
Thanks for the screenshot. As you may have guessed I realized that it's not a problem with the software but I somehow lost the PDF printer in my Windows.

Reactivated the feature, works now.
Sure I can write everything down by hand but I like a well-formatted print-out more ^_^
And since I can't retroactively print the rescue code, I am at least out of luck on that front.

PHolder

May 19, 2018
Regarding the autorun "option": If the checkbox exists but does not change anything on activation, that is a bug by (my) definition and not a design choice
It's a fair bit more complicated that it seems, I'm afraid. The checkbox does not mean what you think it means. In particular, it does not mean "don't create an auto-run entry in the registry". I can't speak for @Steve, so maybe he will chime in to explain his thinking, but my best guess is that he wanted the SQRL app to always run to check for an update, and possibly to reconfigure your setting in the SQRL identity file. The problem amounts to the settings being related to the identity and not to the system, I think. Anyway, I agree with you, I don't want it running when I ask it not to, and there is no way to say not to without creating an identity, so on other accounts on the system that don't use SQRL there is still a program running for no reason.

BTW, on Windows 10, there is a Startup entry editor in the settings, and you can disable it there, rather than doing the registry thing.

Paul F

Apr 11, 2019
Toronto
This newsgroup posting from 2017 provides some background on the autorun feature:
As far as I can tell, the HKCU\...\Run entry was subsequently replaced with a flag bit (0x2) in the REG_DWORD "OptionSettings" at HKCU\software\gibson research\sqrl. The bit reflects the state of the "Automatically start SQRL" checkbox. I verified in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Ver 1909) that the SQRL client does not stay running after startup when the checkbox is cleared.

Last edited:

PHolder

May 19, 2018
I verified in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Ver 1909) that the SQRL client does not stay running after startup when the checkbox is cleared.
Create a new user account, don't set up SQRL in it, and confirm the behaviour of the client. I think you'll find the SQRL client loads and sits there. The only way to make it go away is to create a SQRL account that tells it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.