App settings 'help' menus / tooltips

• New Wordpress Plug-In Forum
    Guest:

Just a note that we have a new forum to contain discussions relating to the Wordpress plug-in which Daniel Persson originated and has been making great progress on. You'll find it under "Server-Side Solutions."

/Steve.

michaelm

Jun 20, 2019
Firstly, thanks for this app - as an Android user it's great to be able to use SQRL with (soon to be, hopefully) everyone else.

Secondly, apologies if this has already come up - I have just created my identity and an associated account here and haven't read through everything yet. I just stumbled across something in the app which I thought could be a little clearer and didn't want to forget about it before posting.

So... Under the SQRL Settings page there is the quickpass length, verification timeout and idle timeout. There is some reference to those in the overall help documentation, so I'm ok with those fields at the moment. But more generally, it isn't immediately clear what the "SQRL only login" and "no SQRL bypass" options actually do. I remember their functionality from Security Now so, again, I'm happy I understand these, but I'm sure a lot of new users won't.

Would it be possible to generate some sort of hover tooltip / little (i) icon alongside the various terms on each menu page to give users a better understanding of what the features are and when they might want to enable/disable them?

Thanks again,
Michael.

Reactions: ahauser

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi @michaelm

Well, I've been thinking in those lines myself but did not find a satisfying solution to the problem. You could file an issue on the GitHub repository if you like and we will try to address it. I think the best is to put a small icon that you can press for more information. Like an INFO button or something.

Hover or tooltip works badly on touch devices. Great suggestion.

Best regards
Daniel

Reactions: ahauser

michaelm

Jun 20, 2019
put a small icon that you can press for more information
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking with regard to the little (i) icon - really just say "hover tooltip" to convey the concept rather than the implementation.

As for opening an issue on github, I'm happy to do that (being 'in the industry') but just as a word of caution, we'll all be looking for users to begin the uptake on here who may not be technical and perhaps we should be mindful of anyone's good suggestion being missed because they didn't follow-up with a github request. Hopefully there'll always be someone who can step in and take it on for them!