Android v0.13.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Hi gang.

This is a quick fix version to mainly fix the issue with selecting identity. Also added some contribution from the community. Tested some ideas to make the icon button on the main screen more like a button but making it elevated with a drop shadow that was one of my ideas did not work due to the lack of support in vector drawables. Will look into more solutions some other day.

Improvements:
Bug fixes:
* Select identity correction

Hzy

Feb 27, 2019
Bama
I imported a test id I created so I would have two. The app used the one I selected (same device login) and remembered when I changed to the other. However, after importing the test ID, I'm getting "Decrypting identity failed, try another password" on the both the new id and my original (personal) identity. I deleted the new, but still fails on original. I will try reseting pwd and reimporting the test id when I can.

Also, when I try fewer characters in pwd on my original id - just for laughs i used the pwd for the test id which has fewer characters, the app crashed. I confirmed this several times.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
There's a bug with the ASK facility. It works and the server properly registers the button, but the app stays on the ASK screen and just keeps pulling it up no matter which button you press or how often. I created an issue at the GitHub page for it.

Reactions: kalaspuffar

shanedk

May 20, 2018
Another problem I'm getting: immediately after I log in, if I try again the QuickPass is active and I can log in with my fingerprint. But then I wait awhile. I still have the notification that says that QuickPass is active, but it makes me type in the full password anyway.

Is something going on where the app forgets the QuickPass but doesn't realize it?

kalaspuffar

May 19, 2018
Sweden
coderinsights.com
Another problem I'm getting: immediately after I log in, if I try again the QuickPass is active and I can log in with my fingerprint. But then I wait awhile. I still have the notification that says that QuickPass is active, but it makes me type in the full password anyway.

Is something going on where the app forgets the QuickPass but doesn't realize it?
Yes, should forget in the time set in settings, default 15 min

shanedk

May 20, 2018
I upped it to 4500, which should take something like 3 days, and it's still "forgetting." And again, I still have the notification that says QuickPass is active.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
More info on this: it seems to happen when the phone is off for awhile. I think it's taking the app out of memory, even though the QuickPass notification is still there.

So I tried this:
  1. Log in with password
  2. Log in with QuickPass to make sure it works
  3. Go to apps screen and swipe SQRL up
  4. Notice the QuickPass notification is still there
  5. Try to log in, but you have to type the password

So something in Android is making the app go down after a certain amount of time, regardless of the retention time you put in for the QuickPass.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
After further experimentation: it seems that the battery optimization is the culprit. I turned that off for the SQRL app, and after a 6 hour wait the QuickPass was still active.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
Two days later, yes, everything is fine now. Turning off battery optimization for the app fixed it!

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
After further experimentation: it seems that the battery optimization is the culprit. I turned that off for the SQRL app, and after a 6 hour wait the QuickPass was still active.
For those of you who wish to want to "efficiently" test the things that seem to break if you set the phone down for an hour or two...

I think you tap the Android version a bunch of times and it will turn on developer options. (google it).

Then turn on Developer Options > Apps > Don't keep activities

Destroy every activity as soon as the user leaves it
And near that option is Background process limit

Might as well set that to No background processes, then you just switch out and back and watch sparks fly (unless everything was done perfectly, hehe!)

This will show where the app works while testing, but will eventually fall down if a user stops in the middle of something, and the OS decides to yank back resources.

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
Agreed Daniel, for regular end users, certainly.

But what I was suggesting was for testers a way to change their device for an app to break!

I was attempting to help someone who had set their goals on finding bugs that were hard to detect because they depended upon waiting long periods for the Android OS to collect resources from inactive applications. So I was addressing a "tester" not a typical "end user" with the goal to make breaking things easier.

shanedk

May 20, 2018
Aaaaand, it's happening again. It's forgetting the QuickPass after about 15 minutes or so, even though I've set the idle timeout to be much longer.

And I checked: battery optimization is still turned off. Turning it off is what fixed it last time, so I'm back to not knowing why this is happening. But it's going to be annoying for anyone who wants an idle timeout longer than the default.

sengsational

Feb 17, 2019
I just did what I mentioned in post 14, that is, set my OS to "don't keep activities" and "no background processes". This simulates the OS yanking resources away from an app when the OS thinks the app isn't being used (so in essence a rough simulation of time passing).

This precipitated the quickpass being "forgotten"
  1. Start app
  2. Logon to sqrl.grc.com by scanning QR code and typing full password (expected), logon succeeds.
  3. Small SQRL icon (QuickPass active) appears in the top left of screen (expected).
  4. Logoff web site.
  5. Logon to sqrl.grc.com by scanning QR code and typing quickpass (as expected), logon succeeds.
  6. Logoff web site.
  7. Press phone's home button (or whatever that thing is called that makes all apps get "minimized")
  8. Bring the "running" SQRL app to the foreground again.
  9. Small SQRL icon (QuickPass active) remains in the top left of screen (expected).
  10. Logon to sqrl.grc.com by scanning QR code
  11. App requests full password (unexpected). Expected the app to request quickpass and to be aligned with QuickPass active icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.