#65 > #66 UX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan M Cameron

Thanks for the update Steve. I eventually managed to get the new sqrl.exe downloaded and run.
Thank you as well for introducing me to the depths of MS Windows Defender. I am still not sure I have disabled it and re-enabled it correctly.
I think I need to try reading how it works again. The baffling options and the results … Phew!!
Hopefully this will be the last time that such an occurrence happens.

Suggestion: Could you rush the next release to check that the updating works.

Alan M Cameron

an UPDATE.

after appearing to install the #66 version I reverted the Windows Defender to the normal state and tried to logout of the discussion forums and then sometime later login again, this failed. Windows defender said that sqrl.exe was a virus and deleted it. I also noted that after the apparent installation there was no SQRL icon in the taskbar or in the hidden icon area. It had also been removed. I have also spent a fruitless hour trying to get help from MS. Their agent wanted me to add an exclusion to the Windows Defender Anti-Virus setting but did not know that I could not download SQRL and therefore had no place to point the exclusion to sqrl.exe. I do not believe this will go away until MS get Windows Defender to be less aggressive or give some help or info on how to unblock downloads.

PS I can still login using the name and password I set when I established first contact with the discussion forum.

Dave

May 19, 2018
Gardner, MA
an UPDATE.

after appearing to install the #66 version I reverted the Windows Defender to the normal state and tried to logout of the discussion forums and then sometime later login again, this failed. Windows defender said that sqrl.exe was a virus and deleted it. I also noted that after the apparent installation there was no SQRL icon in the taskbar or in the hidden icon area. It had also been removed. I have also spent a fruitless hour trying to get help from MS. Their agent wanted me to add an exclusion to the Windows Defender Anti-Virus setting but did not know that I could not download SQRL and therefore had no place to point the exclusion to sqrl.exe. I do not believe this will go away until MS get Windows Defender to be less aggressive or give some help or info on how to unblock downloads.

PS I can still login using the name and password I set when I established first contact with the discussion forum.
See https://sqrl.grc.com/threads/heres-what-happened-with-release-65-were-now-at-66.562/post-4089

Steve

Administrator
Staff member
May 6, 2018
www.grc.com
Suggestion: Could you rush the next release to check that the updating works.
Hi Alan. Yes... I WILL have another release mid-week. The podcast is about to intervene... but then I'll be updating the way the UI text is attached to the EXE to make it somewhat less likely that someone will mess with the text to produce a bogus client. Once that's done, I'll deal with anything else that's needed -- such as adding the "HELP" button to every install dialog which would have been nice to have THIS time -- then I'll publish release #67. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.